Los Angeles rapper Kendrick Lamar caps off an incredible year with the release of yet another stunning visual for “LOVE,”a single featuring r&b singer Zacari from Lamar’s Grammy-nominated album”DAMN.” The video is directed by Dave Meyers and the little homies (Lamar and David Free), who also handled “LOYALTY” and “HUMBLE.”
A statement on the cyclical nature of love, the visual shows Lamar and a lover played by actress Andrea Ellsworth experiencing the highs and lows of an intimate relationship. A deeply textured video that mixes in animation, Lamar and his creative team managed to weave in multiple hidden items that are easily missed without multiple views.
Check out a list of five undercover moments within “LOVE” below.
1. Several people on Twitter have theorized that the staging of the kitchen table scenes first shown at 0:54 are inspired by photographer Carrie Mae Weems’ 1990 “Kitchen Table Series.” Born in Portland but now based in Brooklyn, Weems is known for portraits commenting on the everyday lives and interactions of black people.
Nice! Kendrick Lamar’s video for “LOVE” has some Carrie Mae Weems-inspired shots, specifically from the photographer’s “Kitchen Table Series” (1990): pic.twitter.com/PYUB3PNWlb
— Paris Chanel (@thechanelmuse) December 22, 2017
2. There’s been a lot of excited anticipation for Marvel’s upcoming Black Panther film and in “LOVE” we receive a hint it will be supported by a great soundtrack. At 1:54 in the video, there’s a clapperboard reading “B.Panther Soundtrack Coming Soon,” indicating Lamar will be involved with the movie’s music. Keep in mind that Vince Staples’ song “BagBak”is currently featured on the movie’s trailer.
3. In late June, @theshaderoom reported Lamar’s fiance, Whitney Alford, is pregnant. At the 2:00 mark Lamar is shown sitting next to a clearly pregnant women (who is not Alford), perhaps signaling a confirmation of the rumored pregnancy. Keep in mind this video was filmed sometime in mid-summer 2017.
4. In a car scene at 2:09, Lamar and Zacari are spotted wearing a silver 3M “Lovely” jacket that a lot of fans are lusting over. Dianne Garcia who styled the video stated on Instagram that the jackets were custom made by Hymne designer Jide Osifeso. There’s a site selling what looks like a copy of the jacket and all we have to say is if you want to buy a copycat jacket from a site with little to no selling history, that’s on you.
5. Following the car scene, Travis Scott pops up wearing the same jacket at 2:20. Earlier this year Scott toured with Lamar who was featured on Scott’s “goosebumps” singles last year. Clearly they really like each other but perhaps this also is a nod to future collaborative efforts.
Check out the visuals below.