In the sophomore season of HBO’s series “Insecure,” music remains an essential part of the story telling, informing and affirming the characters’ identities as black Americans living in Los Angeles.
Case in point, in “Hella Good,” the debut episode of season two, Issa’s boss references a line from Ice Cube‘s “You Can Do It” and at her party, a neighbor does the Crip walk to Compton rapper Problem’s 2017 single “Betta Watch Yo Self.” In the final scene, the show makes a statement about Lawrence (Jay Ellis) by introducing his scene with SZA’s “Love Galore.”
To create a deeper connection with the audience, the show will continue to create Spotify playlists for each episode, and according to music supervisor Kier Lehman, several episodes will include original music either made for or debuted on the show. In “Hella Good,” the show debuted Leikeli47 single “Attitude.”
“Insecure” has also partnered with RCA on a soundtrack, which will be released later this year.
One change from last year, while Solange Knowles assisted with music consulting on the first season of the show, according to Lehman, her schedule was too packed this year to contribute.
“Hella Great” Tracklist
1. Scared Money: “NxWorries”
2. Lionbabe: “Hit the Ceiling”
3. Gold Link, Brent Faiyaz & Shy Glizzy: “Crew”
4. Smiles Davies ft. Bosco & Tola: “Morning Blues”
5. Ice Cube ft. Mack 10: “You Can Do It”
6. Leikeli47: “Attitude”
7. Playboi Carti: “dothatshit!”
8. Cardi B ft. Offset: “Lick”
9. OverDoz: “Last Kiss”
10. Problem: “Betta Watch Yoself”
11. SZA ft. Travis Scott: “Love Galore”
12. Jazmine Sullivan: “Let It Burn”