Nicki Minaj and Megan thee Stallion‘s (real name Megan Pete) quietly simmering beef has gone public with both rappers taking shots on each other through songs and on social media. The beef officially kicked off on Thursday (January 26, 2024) when Megan released “Hiss,” the second single from her upcoming, third studio album.
Minaj has queued up a new song titled “Big Foot,” which seems to be a response to “Hiss,” however, she has swatted down any description of it as a diss song. In the meantime, she has been taking swipes at Megan nonstop on social media. According to Minaj’s latest post on X, “Big Foot” will drop at 9:00 PM EST on January 28th. As part of the release, Minaj will host a listening party on Stationhead at 7:30 EST.
In “the song”Hiss,” Megan spits, “These hoes don’t be mad at Megan, these hoes mad at Megan’s Law,” a line that is viewed as a direct shot at Minaj’s husband Kenneth Petty because it references the name of a federal law requiring convicted sex offenders to stay up-to date with a publically available register, which reveals their location.
Petty was found guilty of attempted rape at age 15, for which he served four years. After moving to Los Angeles from New York, he was charged for failing to register as a sex offender. He plead guilty and was sentenced to home detention and probation and was also fined.
The lyrics are a two-for in that they could also be viewed as referencing Minaj’s brother, Jelani Marah, who was convicted in 2017 of predatory assault for raping his 11-year-old stepdaughter.
Nicki Minaj’s List of Megan thee Stallion Grievances
In her first response to Megan on X, Minaj laid out multiple reason for finding the rapper problematic.
- Minaj took issue with the diss in “Hiss” because it’s centered on her husband and the father of her child, Petty, which she views as problematic because he’s a family member and not involved in the entertainment business.
- Shining a light on Megan’s relationship with ex-boyfriend Pardi, Minaj highlighted lyrics from his single “Thee Person,” in which he alleged that he asked Megan if she had sex with various men, thought to be her producer LilJuMadeDaBeat (real name Julian Mason), as well as Da Baby (real name Jonathan Kirk) and Tory Lanez (real name Daystar Peterson). According to the song, Megan swore on her dead mother, Holly Thomas, that she wasn’t sexually involved with any of them, a response Pardi came to discover was a lie, causing him to lose trust in her.
- Minaj highlighted Megan’s interview with Gayle King during which she claimed never had sex with Lanez, a claim she backtracked on during her court testimony in 2022 when he was on trial for shooting her her in the foot.
- Minaj called out Megan for stealing Tory Lanez from her ex-best friend Kelsey Harris. According to reporting by Hollywood Unlocked, the trio met at a Roc Nation brunch and Lanez began dating Harris shortly thereafter, but when Harris returned to Texas to recover from a bout of COVID, Megan started a sexual relationship with him behind her back.
- At some point following the filming of “Hot Girl Summer,” a song released in August 2019, Minaj claimed that Megan brushed her off when she said she wasn’t drinking alcohol because she was possibly pregnant. Minaj discussed the incident in a September 2022, episode of Queen Radio hosted on Apple Music, where she explained, “Imagine telling someone you didn’t want to drink because, you were, at the time, possibly pregnant. Because you were actively having a baby. Imagine if that person said, ‘Oh girl, you can go to the clinic.”
In a separate post on X, Minaj called out Megan for blocking use of a LilJuMadeDaBeat-produced track she claimed she’s had in the vault for six years. Minaj added that she posted a snippet of the song on social media weeks ago, and subsequently liked various posts by female rappers who expressed an interest in a feature. Minaj alleged Megan used her relationship with LilJuMadeDaBeat to push him to rescind clearance on the beat, and shut down the song.
On “Big Foot,” Minaj accused Megan of trading sex for beats and using Pardi as a ghost writer. She also called out Megan for getting plastic surgery in the form of a nose job and liposuction, which she accused the Houston rapper of passing off as the result of fitness. Referencing the night Megan was shot by Lanez, Nicki alleged she was thrown out of Kylie Jenner‘s home because she was too drunk. Minaj also implied Megan wasn’t actually shot because she doesn’t have any scars.
Nicki And Megan’s Origin Story
Minaj first became acquainted with Megan as a featured artist on her “Hot Girl Summer” song, released in August 2019. The effort was born out of a feel-good moment on an Instagram Live session hosted by Minaj that Megan spontaneously joined. The song, which also featured was well received and peaked at No. 11 on Billboard’s Hot 100 Chart.
However, when Megan joined forces with Minah’s sworn enemy Cardi B (real name Belcalis Almánzar Cephuson) on “WAP,” a single release in August 2020, her relationship with Minaj grew frosty and fans have speculated about shots the two rappers have quietly taken at each other in music ever since.