January 20, 2018 Update: There is talk that YM Bape has been released from prison. Read the rest of the update here.
Update: As has been pointed out by some who know The Ape far better than us, he has said he intentionally wears Supreme boxers so he can protect his beloved BAPE and at the same time “shit on” Supreme which is “on his dick.”
Read the original story below.
The “banging on my chest” anti-Supreme guy aka YM Bape aka The Ape was arrested yesterday in front of Kith’s Manhattan location. This came after months of documented bullying/comedic/performance art videos in which he would typically enter streetwear boutiques and knock Supreme merchandise off of shelves, dressed in BAPE and shouting anti-Supreme slogans. He’s also been shot antagonizing individuals wearing Supreme and not long ago was jumped in retaliation for all the aforementioned mess (video below).
Thanks To Me & My Brother @TCole____ @SupremeAccess Will No Longer Have Issues Because Of The “Ape”. #BANGONTHAT pic.twitter.com/kNUF5Eh4E2
— OFFICIAL YOUNG KING (@YoungKingCTD) September 16, 2016
Let it be known, while generally pro-ape for obvious reasons, BAPE has said it wants nothing to do with apes who are disrespectful, probably preferring those who quietly bathe in warm springs.
We are not in any way associated with these individuals and we do not endorse such disrespectful behavior.
— BAPE *A BATHING APE (@ABathingApeUS) August 26, 2016
Twitter account @dmoneyownz aka David M was at Kith when it all went down and caught it all on video. David M has been spending a lot of time attempting to shame the people (good luck with that, Dave) who stole and reposted his videos so here is a cleaned up version of events from his timeline:
1. With cops and a Kith security guard stationed in front of Kith, The Ape is spotted across the street putting his money where his mouth is carrying a BAPE shopping bag. He’s also wearing what appears to be head-to-toe BAPE paired with red Foams. Key word is “appears.” More on that later.
This is what happened before @ymbape crossed the road. Note the Kith security guy in front of me. 👀 pic.twitter.com/sT4IJTd9pY
— David M (@dmoneyownz) September 17, 2016
2. In the next video, The Ape is shown crossing the street and conversing with the police officers (a very diverse bunch we might add) who appear to want to do more than just chat with The Ape. As The Ape indicates plans to walk away, someone off camera instructs police officer “Melissa” to “take him.”
When The Ape realizes the seriousness of the situation, he attempts to run for it and it takes three cops to grab him and throw him up against a parked Mercedes Benz before he’s subdued. The Ape is nothing if not strong! As close up shots reveal, The Ape is wearing Supreme underwear.
The Benz driver is not happy, and yes, according to David M the hood ornament was bent to hell. (How does that insurance claim read? “Crushed by The Ape”??) If you watch the video again, someone very quietly picks up the bag The Ape put down while being arrested and supposedly that is a friend of The Ape who subsequently was also arrested though that account is from a one-off Instagram comment so take it with a giant grain of salt.
Ymbape arrested at Kith today pic.twitter.com/StGbvqAPmo
— David M (@dmoneyownz) September 17, 2016
3. From another angle, an associate of The Ape is heard saying, “He didn’t do nothing,” which, that is a true friend because let’s be real, The Ape has been doing everything and the most and it’s a minor miracle it took this long for him to be arrested. Very hard to imagine, but someone appears to be married to The Ape because in the same clip he asks his friends to call his wife.
3. After being carted off, The Ape checks in from his Snapchat account sounding down, but definitely not out, revealing that cell phones and wifi are a thing in New York holding cells.
Ape snap chatting live from jail! pic.twitter.com/fr3sLpoJwT
— Patrick (@pjs84651) September 17, 2016
4. In tribute art showing The Ape as carrying the torch for martyred (real) ape Harambe, Instagram account @liam_nissan points out The Ape arrest images included anti-The Ape graffiti reading “ym bape is pussy” on the sidewalk in front of Kith. While there is now a #freetheape hashtag on Instagram, the fact he was exposed wearing Supreme underwear probably cost The Ape some supporters.
Ya wonder why i wear these boxers… ask @SupremeNewYork why they on my dick & why i keep Shittin on em! #ApeGang #ApesOutHere #BanginOnMyChest #FuckSupreme #SupremeK #1993
A photo posted by Drippin.inbape (@ymbape) on
What we still don’t know:
Why The Ape claims to hate Supreme and yet was wearing Supreme drawers.
Why The Ape was arrested.