It was announced last month that Rihanna was awarded Shoe of the Year by Footwear News for her Puma creeper, and last night the publication held its official achievement award ceremony in New York City.
Wearing black creepers and a black velvet Vetements ensemble, Rihanna was on hand to accept the award (video below), and said, “To come to America and just do this by default because I like to wear a certain kind of shoe…I didn’t expect people to love it the way I do.” Rihanna also shouted out Billy Walsh and his team at Mr. Completely for inspiring the idea.
Streetwear and sneaker culture were big winners with Ronnie Fieg and Kith winning Retailer of the Year and Vetements and Manolo Blahnik taking home Collaboration of the Year. As well, Mark King of Adidas was awarded Person of the Year, Nike took Marketer of the Year and Foot Locker won Company of the Year.
All award recipients are listed below
- Rihanna on behalf of the Fenty Puma creeper: Shoe of the Year
- Zendaya on behalf of Daya by Zendaya: Launch of the Year
- Chiara Ferragni: Style Influencer of the Year
- Iris Apfel: Icon Award
- John Varvatos: Award for Social Impact
- Paul Andrew: Designer of the Year presented
- Aldo Bensadoun of the ALDO Group: Lifetime Achievement Award
- Nicolò Beretta: Vivian Infantino Emerging Talent Award
- Mark King of Adidas: Person of the Year
- Kristina Blahnik on behalf of Vetements x Manolo Blahnik: Collaboration of the Year
- Dick Johnson (President and CEO, Foot Locker Inc.) on behalf of Foot Locker Inc: Company of the Year
- Ronnie Fieg on behalf of Kith: Retailer of the Year (presented by Victor Cruz)
- Aero Akura on behalf of Nike: Marketer of the Year
- Alexandre Birman on behalf of Schutz: Brand of the Year