Los Angeles-based label HLZBLZ as led by Lanie Alabanza-Barcena this year celebrates its tenth anniversary, which in the age of knock-off fashion is a huge deal for any fashion company, especially a women’s streetwear label existing in a space whose retail and media-coverage set up is pretty much entirely devoted to men.
The thing about Alabanza-Barcena aka Miss Lawn, while she may publicly come across as quiet, even reserved, she is definitely one of those “real Gs move in silence types,” a total boss who is unshakably and deeply loyal to the HLZBLZ crew, her husband, “Bam,” and keeping HLZ BLZ live and direct for its many fans and followers who love the light it shines for women who’ve never viewed their gender as a limitation or dictation. Everybody knows, when it comes to women and streetwear, Albanaza -Barcena occupies a very elite club whose members are few.
In celebration of her ten years as the leader of HLZBLZ, we created a TEN-themed questionnaire. We are so honored to present you her answers below, plus some images she sent us to go along with her response. For more info on HLZBLZ and to check out the current season, click here.
TEN items on your life to-do list:
1. “Skydiving: I’m a huge thrill seeker. I love roller coasters… So Skydiving is definitely a notch above that.”
2. Have a kid, I’ve put this off way too long, focusing on business over personal goals BUT I think it’s time to finally grow up and take that next step with Bam.
3. Travel simply for fun, adventure and relaxation. Way too many times, we plan our mini-vacations around work. I want to be able to say fuck my laptop & just enjoy different cultures without the bounds of work & stress. The next to-do go hand in hand with No. 3.
4. Back pack around Europe, South East Asia and Africa.
5. Perfect my guitar skills. I’ve picked up the guitar and have gotten rather good considering how long I’ve been playing BUT there’s a handful of songs that I want to perfect.
6. Take singing lessons… haha!!! I low-key wish I could sing BUT not just sing-sing… I wanna saaaaang!!!
7. Take magic classes. For those that know me, know that I am obsessed w/ magic & my life long dream would be to be a magician… Even if it’s as an assistant. Nerd much?!
8. Dance on a stage one more time… I used to be a dancer when I was young & totally forgot how much I love performing. It’s bums me out to think there’s a possibility that I’ll never perform again. Hopefully, someday/somehow that’ll happen again.
9. Create a children’s clothing line… I’ve been wanting to create Mini Bellz forever.
10. Teach a business or graphic design class. There’s no greater feeling than passing on knowledge I’ve learned and picked up along the way since going to school and working in this industry.
TEN AM & TEN PM, you are typically found:
Ten AM, answering emails at the office; Ten PM, full from a heavy dinner, Netflix & chillin’ w/ my doggies.
TEN favorite pieces (including collaborative items) from beginning to now for HLZBLZ:
1. Belle of the Brawl stadium jacket: Autumn 2008
2. Good Girl Gone Bad Hellz Bellz x In4mation collaboration: Spring 2006
3. Hellz Bellz x Vans moto-inspired sneakers from our first collaboration: Spring 2010
4. Hipster Killer military-inspired crop jacket: Spring 2010
5. D. Ross double layer waistband denim pant: Spring 2008
6. Hellz Bellz x Stussy capsule: Spring 2009
7. HLZBLZ x Hello Kitty stadium jacket: Spring 2015
8. Minnie Bellz graphic tee: Autumn 2005
9. Hellz Bellz x G-Shock Taxi watch: Autumn 2010
10. Badgyal nylon pullover: Autumn 2015
TEN years paid rent and living expenses anywhere in the world you are moving to:
“There isn’t anywhere I would rather live than Los Angeles. Everything is here, family, friends, good weather, amazing food, etc. BUT that wouldn’t stop me from getting homes in the Philippines, Palm Springs and/or Hawaii.”
TEN things that make you happy to be in this life:
3. My doggies, Marley & Minnie
4. HLZBLZ and my team
6. FOOD!!! Specifically… Korean, Japanese, Filipino & Italian
7. Learning new things everyday that make me a better person
8. Good Health
9. Yoga… Namaste bitches!
10. Traveling the world
TEN things that push your buttons:
3. Attention Seekers
5. Name droppers
6. Slow drivers… Like seriously?! Get off the fucking road!
7. LA Traffic
8. When someone (ahem, Bam!) doesn’t put the new roll of toilet paper on the holder but rather leaves the empty roll on the holder and the new roll next to it on the counter… gaaahh FML!
9. Liars… c’mon bruh!
10. Did I say Ignorance?!
TEN year-old style:
When I was 10 there were two different styles circulating at the time that I remember, there was the more girly style which consisted of baby dolls over biker shorts with lace bottom trim paired with patent leather creepers with satin bow tie laces. Then there was the more tomboy style where we wore turtle necks with Cascade black jackets, skinny jeans or leggings with knee high suede boots. Sounds a bit hood for little 10 year olds, huh? haha
TENTH grade style:
Straight up tomboy: Dickies, All Star crew neck sweater, hoop earrings, dark lipstick, Nike Cortez… hahaha… Basically me, NOW!
TEN times more time to work or play:
TEN years from now HLZ:
We will continue to grow at a steady pace, expand categories and hopefully be at the forefront of women’s street fashion. If not at the forefront, at least be an inspiration for the brand/designer that is.