Balenciaga was the subject of a lot of teasing last week over a “blue wrinkled glazed leather” men’s Arena shopping bag that appeared to be inspired by Ikea‘s famous plastic Frakta shopping bag. The problem was the difference in pricing, with Balenciaga’s bag ringing in at a cool $2,145 and Ikea’s priced at 99 cents.
With the jokes swirling, Ikea decided to jump in and offer its own bemused take on the high-priced Balenciaga bag. As inspired by its ad partner, Acne, the global furniture company created a print ad titled “The Original,” which includes text explaining (below) how to spot a real Frakta bag.
1. Shake it. If it rustles, it’s the real deal.
2. Multifunctional. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
3. Throw it in the dirt. A true Frakta is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
4. Fold it. Are you able to fold it to the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
5. Look inside. The original has an authentic Ikea tag.
6. Price tag. Only $0.99.
Check out Ikea ad and Balenciaga’s “Arena” shopper tote below.