The law has finally come for Tory Lanez. In response to a series of events that took place early in the morning of July 12, 2020, the Los Angeles county district attorney’s office has charged the Canadian-born rapper with one count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm, and one count of carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
The charges also allege Lanez (real name Daystar Peterson) inflicted great bodily injury. It’s assumed the accusation is a reference to Megan the Stallion (real name Megan Pete), who has said she was shoot in each foot by Lanez. If convicted, the 28-year-old Lanez could face u to 22 years and eight months in prison.
The L.A. prosecutors had said they were mulling over a charge of felony assault with a firearm against Lanez following the incident. At the time, he was arrested but only charged with possession of a firearm. Now the prosecutors are explicitly accusing Lanez as the person who shot Megan.
Megan initially resisted pointing a finger at Lanez, but went public in August following a series of blog stories painting Megan as an instigator. On Instagram Live, she stated, Yes, this n*gga Tory shot me. You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people to these blogs lying and sh*t, stop lying!”
Lanez will be arraigned on October 13th. The report describes the incident and states, “On July 12, the defendant and the 24-year-old victim got into an argument while riding in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills. The victim exited the vehicle and Peterson is accused of shooting several times at her feet and wounding her.”
Lanez is being represented by Florida-based attorney Jim Lewis, who told Vulture in a written statement, “The ‘victim’ doesn’t appear to be seriously injured, since I saw her on Saturday Night Live last week.”
In response to the statement, Megan’s lawyer, Alex Spiro, told Vulture, “No comment.”