February may have been Black History Month, but for Black women the music charts weren’t exactly a friendly place. Among the female music creatives sitting in the top 10 of Billboard‘s Hot 100 chart, Adele‘s “Easy on Me” remained comfortably perched in a top five position on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart throughout the month. Meanwhile, 17-year-old Gayle‘s polarizing “abcdefu” began the month at No. 8 and ended the month at No. 3 on the chart, bumping Adele down a position.
Midway through the month, Nicki Minaj‘s single featuring Lil Baby saved the day reaching a No. 2 position on the chart, but it didn’t sustain momentum and dropped out of the top 10 altogether by the following week.
While Minaj may have been the only female creative on my list to crack the top 10, that in no was diminished the great singles dropped in February by or featuring Mahalia, Sheseea, Baby Tate, Doja Cat, Stefflon Don, Melii, Saweetie, H.E.R., Tinashe, Sevyn Streeter, Becky G, Karol G, Willow and Alyssa Reid.
Submit music to me, Europe Angelique, on Twitter and find the monthly-updated Snobette Sounds Spotify playlist here.
Check out my top 13 singles by women for the month of February below.
- Nicki Minaj ft. Lil Baby: “Do We Have a Problem”
2. Mahalia: “Letter To Ur Ex”
3. Shenseea ft. 21 Savage: “R U That”
4. Baby Tate: “S*ut Him Out”
5. Doja Cat: “Celebrity Skin”
6. Stefflon Don: “Like That”
7. Melii: “Cartier”
8. Saweetie ft. H.E.R.: “Closer”
9. Tinashe: “Naturally”
10. Sevyn Streeter ft. Jeremih: “Wet Dreamz”
11. Becky G ft. Karol G: “MAMII”
12. Machine Gun Kelly ft. Willow Smith: “emo girl”
13. Alyssa Reid: “roses”