September has been a big month for women and rap music with A-list artists Cardi B and Nicki Minaj both releasing new music. Cardi was featured on a track with rising star GloRilla, while Minaj remixed her No. 1 hit “Super Freaky Girl” with features from five female rappers: City Girls‘ JT, BIA, Akbar V, Maliibu Miitch and Katie Got Bandz.
With JT and Akbar recording a song with Minaj when once they were loud and proud members of Team Cardi, it seemed inevitable there would be fall out. And indeed, the single spurred the ugliest of Twitter brawls with Cardi and Akbar taking verbal shots at each other seemingly for days on end.
In addition to music by the kings of the category, September was an important month for up-and-coming Bronx rapper Ice Spice, who signed a $3 million deal with 10K Projects.
In addition to the aforementioned artists, Snobette Sounds’ list of best new music includes music by or featuring Ari Lenox, Summer Walker, Ciara, Lakeyah, Flo Milli, DreamDoll, Kash Doll, Baby Tate, Kamaiyah, Coi Leray, Dess Dior, Bree Runway, Day Sulan and Rebebe.
Submit music to me, Europe Angelique, on Twitter and find the monthly-updated Snobette Sounds Spotify playlist here.
Check out my 13 selections for September below.
1. GloRilla ft. Cardi B: “Tomorrow 2”
2. Nicki Minaj ft. JT, BIA, Akbar V, Maliibu Miitch, Katie Got Bandz: “Super Freaky Girl (Queen Mix)”
3. Ari Lenox: “Waste My Time”
4. Ciara and Summer Walker: “Better Thangs”
5. Lakeyah ft. Flo Milli: “Maneuver”
6. Dreamdoll ft. Kash Doll: “Fantasy”
7. Baby Tate: “Differences”
8. Kamaiyah: “Comme Des Garcons”
9. Coi Leray: “Fly Sh!t”
10. Dess Dior: “Nann Hoe”
11. Bree Runway: “THAT GIRL”
12. Day Sulan: “Teach U How To Play”
13. Rebebe: “Prozac”